Florida 2018: National Navy SEAL Museum


One of my favorite places that I visited while in Florida was the National Navy SEAL Museum in Fort Pierce. My grandfather and great-uncle were very kind to take me. Evidently, the SEAL predecessors (WWII) were first trained in Fort Pierce, so that's why the museum is located where it is.

It was a really good though intense experience (complete with sound effects!). I definitely came away from it with an increased understanding of the niche that these special soldiers fill in our military, and a deep appreciation for their service. The museum progression was chronologically backwards; we first encountered the SEAL's role in recovery from 9/11, attacks on ISIS, and capture of Osama bin Laden. We got to see some guns and equipment that the SEALs have used - boats, a helicopter, and truck. There are some really nice videos and panels telling about various aspects of SEAL history. It was very well portrayed and enlightening. The final section - my favorite - was on WWII and the SEAL's beginnings. Very interesting to learn that history, and see the weapons from various countries. We closed off our visit with watching an hour-and-a-half long documentary on the history of SEALs and what their job is really like. It was very well made. Outside of the museum, there's some really cool boats and an obstacle course set up. There are also several docents located around the museum, happy to answer any questions you might have. Many of them are retired Navy SEALs themselves, and very friendly. Chatting with them was my favorite part of the experience.

While not particularly kid-friendly because of its' subject matter and intensity, I still highly recommend visiting this museum if you are already in the area. Here are some of the pictures I took!

This letter written to a 9/11 rescue worker by a New York school kid really emotionally impacted me.



The outside boats were really fun to look at!




To be continued...

Comments