Visiting Great Lakes National Cemetery


One of my favorite memories of Memorial Day weekend with my grandparents was getting to visit Great Lakes National Cemetery, just north of Holly, Michigan. I have visited a national cemetery before (Chattanooga), but that was many years ago and I was excited to visit another one! Just as I suspected from the "national" status, it was an immaculate and beautifully kept area and a real treat to visit. With Memorial Day and all, flags were all around. It was a beautiful day for reflecting on the sacrifice that soldiers and their families have made to preserve America's freedoms. I really enjoyed experiencing this place with my grandparents, especially as my grandfather is a Marine veteran!

Following are some of my favorite pictures that I took. I hope you enjoy!







Hands down, my favorite shots of the day were of my grandfather reflecting on the graves and cemetery. I still can't place my finger on WHY, but the passion and intensity is still definitely there. I'm beginning to discover that photography-wise, while I do really enjoy nature and landscape and all of that...some of my favorite pics are candid portraits, where the subjects don't know that they are being photographed! (for another good example, my friends Nolan and Lauren staring off into the sunset)
What is one of your favorite photos from this post? Let me know in a comment below!

Comments